The monastery (Brahma Vihara Arama) was built in 1970 by locals financing by Indonesian and also aids of Thailand government, and it’s consecrated in 1972. It has been damaged by earthquake in 1976. The new Stupa has been repaired and is decorated with splendidly colorful confection.
The temple complex enjoys a wonderful hillside setting such as brilliant orange tile roof stand over an entrance gate guarded by fine two Naga, with bell tower in the corner of middle courtyard. Every step’s up to the temple has Buddha wisdom also around the walls.
A lower temple with a gold Buddha is from Thailand as a centerpiece, carved stone plaques showing scene from Buddha’s life on all the main temple, and colorful Buddhist to the left of the top temple. Further up you’ll see the founder of the temple next to it is several big Stupas, in this part is the most interesting of the monastery, and magnet for pilgrimages. It well knows as Vihara Buddha Banjar, is biggest Buddhist temple in Bali. It is located at a hilly area at Tehege Village, Desa Banjar, Buleleng Regency about 22 km west of Singaraja city. Due to its location in a hilly area, Brahmavihara Arama has a silent and peaceful atmosphere and it’s perfect as a spiritual area.
Brahmavira Arama Buddha Banjar is a Buddhist temple that was built in the late of 20th century Christian exactly in 1960 and after 1970; it was opened formally in 1973. Actually Buddhist has been built before located at Banjar Tegehe around the hot spring area of Banjar Village, but at that time only the few of people adherents were getting more increasing then Brahmavihara Arama was finally built on such area of land; the area has been expanded in order to be able to build Borobudur Miniature that is located on the southern part of the Brahmavihara Arama that has been built and opened.
Principally there are 5 complexes of building:
- Upastha Gara located on the top of the hill on the west, is a comfortable and a quite place. On the wall there is relief of Buddha’s birth, and in the center there is Buddhist statue in the condition reaching the heaven. In religious and ritual activity this space is functioned as stabilizing the candidate of monk, a stating stage to follow the next training. It was in this space the monk said their oath.
- Dharmasala is located on the east, Dharmasala room is a kind of a room for giving lecture. This room is also a place for giving preach and other spiritual activities.
- Stupa, is a giant bell-like building located at he corner of North West, its wall are made of concrete, carved on relieves that are very interesting. In the Stupa there are many sacred Buddhist things kept such us bright and fire proof things.
- Bodi tree; at the northwest corner there is a big Bodi that is decorated with relief. This place is a victory of Buddha when reaching eternal perfection. In this place visitors usually do meditation especially on Asuda and Waicak Holydays.
- Kuti, at Vihara complex there are rooms called Kuti. These rooms are the home stay for monks and student who are studying and a place for monks exercise. If we hang around all corners of the room and park we can find many Buddhist statues. Among there are two beautiful one ; Parinirwana and Buddha statue. Both are made from bronze coated with gold gifts from Thailand and Sri Langka in 1977. These Statue are place in different rooms. Buddhist Parinirwana statue visualized Buddha reaching heaven or Hindus term Moksa (eternity). Other biggest Buddhist statues at the park in Brahmavihara Arama are about 31 statues. They are made from sandstone or concrete showing the symbol that there are 31 stages of nature outside heaven.